Learn more about RPPS’ largest fundraiser in our Book Fair 2018 Summary.
What is Book Fair?
It’s a three-day sales extravaganza! The big gym at RPPS becomes a giant sales floor for gently used books, magazines, vinyl, DVDs, puzzles and games. There’s even a Café to feed shoppers who make a day of it!
When is Book Fair?
Book Fair is always the first weekend in November – we will convene again November 1–3, 2019.
Where does the money go?
Book Fair has been RPPS’ biggest fundraising activity for nearly 60 years. The net proceeds are managed by School Council for:
- purchasing supplies and arranging activities for literacy programming
- hosting annual Author & Illustrator Workshops and Grandparents’ Reading Day
- purchasing new classroom technology
- funding an educational field trip and an educational workshop for each RPPS class
- providing a year-end trip for the Grade 6 class
- creating a subsidy fund for students in need
- such school enrichments as gardens, soccer field maintenance, etc., and
- many other projects that enhance the students’ educational and social experience at RPPS
The proceeds from Book Fair flow not only back to RPPS, but also to other area schools in the form of no-strings grants to support their literacy programs and other needful projects.
How can I help?
We’re so glad you asked! It takes more than 4,000 volunteer hours to make Book Fair happen each year and there truly is a job for everyone.
- Sort – Come help during the two weeks of setup: sort, price and shelve books in preparation for Book Fair. (This is a very sociable, satisfying and surprisingly addictive activity. Drop in for a half hour or a half-day and even bring the kids!)
- Support – Join the Book Fair Executive Committee; help to collect donations year-round as part of the Book Bin Team; come help at Sort Nights throughout the school year; volunteer during Book Fair itself, or donate baked goods to the Café.
- Shop – Come browse and buy: find your new favourite book and enjoy a snack, drink or meal at the Café.
- Share – Help spread the word about Book Fair: invite friends and family and share your finds on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram!
Why are the Book Bins closed in the winter?
The Bins are not entirely weather-proof: rain and snow does get in, which would mean lots of ruined donations over the winter months. You can bring donations to the Rockcliffe Park Library during their hours of operation or arrange pick-up of larger-volume donations.